City of New Westminster Volunteer Policies
AUTHORIZATION FOR COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
The City of New Westminster respects your privacy.
In order to register for the City of New Westminster's Volunteer Program, the City must collect some personal information from you. Some of the information that we collect is required (required fields are indicated on the online application with an asterisk *) while some information is optional. The information that we collect from you is needed to effectively administer the volunteer program and will not be used for any other purpose.
In order to proceed, you must give your consent for the City to use, distribute and manage the information you provide (as regulated under the Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act). Please read the following statement and if willing to give your consent, select the "I consent" box at the bottom of this page. If you do not provide your consent, you will not be able to proceed with registering as a volunteer.
In order to register, you will be asked to provide the following types of information:
- your personal profile and contact information;
- your availability, commitment, areas of interest, and assignment preferences;
- your general skills, training, language abilities, and educational background;
- your emergency contact information and relevant medical conditions, if any;
- contact information for your personal references;
- consent to conduct a criminal records check
ANTI-SPAM LEGISLATION NOTICE
Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) requires that no electronic messages with any degree of commercial content can be sent without you first providing your express consent to receive a commercial electronic message (CEM) through an email, phone, instant messaging service etc. By completing an application with the City of New Westminster volunteer program you are providing informed consent to receiving email messages from the City related to volunteer opportunities.
If you wish to unsubscribe from email messages, you can do so by ending your volunteer relationship.
- must be 13 years of age, some assignments have different age restrictions
- able to attend an orientation &/or training session
- are able to make a 6 month commitment for year round positions
- provide two character references
- submit an online Criminal Record Clearance
Respectful Workplace Policy:
The City of New Westminster is committed to providing an environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity and free from Discrimination and Harassment.
The City of New Westminster considers workplace Discrimination and Harassment a serious offence and will not tolerate harassing behaviour which may undermine the respect, dignity, self-esteem or productivity of any employee/volunteer.
In order to assist the city in promoting a respectful working environment for all, it is essential that staff/volunteers are able to come forward with complaints that they may have under this Policy.
All complaints will be taken seriously and will be dealt with in a confidential, impartial and timely manner.
Violations of this Policy will not be tolerated and may result in disciplinary actions being taken, up to and including termination of employment/assignment and/or revocation of privileges.
All data, materials, knowledge and information generated through, originating from, or having to do with the City or participants associated with its activities, is to be considered privileged and confidential and is not to be disclosed to any third party. This includes, but is not limited to, documents, conversations, messages (received or transmitted), e-mail lists, e-mail messages and contacts is confidential and the sole property of City.
In addition, this also includes, but is not limited to, any information of, or relating to, our staff, participants, operations and activities. This privilege extends to all forms and formats in which the information is maintained and stored, including, but not limited to hardcopy, photocopy, microform, automated and/or electronic form.
Participants information, including all file information, is not be disclosed to any third party, under any circumstances, without the written consent of the City and the participant.
Any disclosure, misuse, copying or transmitting of any material, data or information, whether intentional or unintentional, will subject Volunteer to disciplinary action, prosecution, and/or monetary damages according to the procedures set by City and any applicable laws.
Social Media User Responsibilities
- You are expected to use common sense, caution and good judgment when participating in social media and conduct ourselves in a way which reflects positively on the City.
- You should not cite or reference employees, members of City Council, contractors, suppliers, partners or customers without their approval, even if such persons are not directly identified.
- You should ensure that any comment on City matters is appropriate to your position and does not conflict with your role at the City.
- You should not disclose any City information or content that you are not specifically authorized to disclose.
I understand that if I do not agree with the above commitments my volunteer duties with the City of New Westminster may be terminated.