The Library Service commits to the following:
- To provide thorough induction on the work of the Library Service, its staff, your volunteering role and the induction and/or training you need to meet the responsibilities of this role
- To explain the standards we expect for our services and to encourage and support you to achieve and maintain them
- To provide a named person who will meet with you regularly to discuss your volunteering and any successes and problems
- Offer regular supervision and support to ensure you are having the best possible experience whilst you are volunteering
- To provide adequate training and feedback in support of providing a safe working environment
- To ensure that all volunteers are dealt with on a fair and equal basis
- To treat you with respect and value your ideas and opinions.
- To provide you with a reference if you would like to use your volunteering experience as an indication of your skills, experience and abilities to potential employers. This will be a character reference, not an employer reference.
- To be sensitive and aware of different cultures, lifestyles, backgrounds and languages. If you have any particular support needs, you should feel confident that you can discuss these with your supervisor.
- To try and resolve fairly any problems, grievances and difficulties you may have while you volunteer with us.
As a volunteer:
- I will positively promote the reputation, integrity and aims of the Library Service. If I am unsure, I can speak to my supervisor first to help me understand these better.
- I understand that it is important to respect the law and follow the Library Service’s procedures and standards as set out in the Volunteer Policy, including safeguarding children and vulnerable adults, health and safety and equal opportunities, in relation to staff, volunteers and customers
- I will treat all information relating to the Library Service as strictly private and confidential, unless I am told otherwise.
- I will maintain a professional relationship with staff, other volunteers and members of the public at all times. I understand and accept that my support to members of the public can only take place within the confines of the Library Service.
- I am aware that there are procedures for complaints. I will speak to my supervisor first to help me resolve any concerns I have about my role
- I will maintain the confidential information of the organisation and its customers
- I will meet time commitment and standards agreed to except in exceptional circumstances, and to give reasonable notice so other arrangements can be made
- I will provide referees as agreed who may be contacted, and agree to a DBS check being carried out if needed.