PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT IN FULL BEFORE CLICKING “I HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THE FOSTER POLICIES” BELOW:
This Foster Home Agreement is made between the individual reading and executing this agreement (“Foster Home”) and the Animal Rescue League of Iowa, Inc. (“ARL”).
WHEREAS, some animals under the care and custody of the ARL would benefit from fostering away from the shelter for a number of reasons, including but not limited to:
- The need for medical treatment or behavior to make the pet adoptable;
- The need for temporary care of a pet while its owner deals with crisis under the ARL’s Crisis Foster Program;
- The need for long-term resident mature cats to reside outside the shelter while nonetheless remaining available for adoption under the ARL’s Shelter Cat Getaway Program;
- The need for certain animals to live outside the shelter that are not adoptable due to medical or behavioral issues;
- Other needs of ARL animals pursuant to various ARL programs;
WHEREAS, the Foster Home understands the fostering needs of the ARL, and further desires to assist the ARL in meeting said needs by providing a safe home and humane care for certain ARL animals and, if applicable, aid in making fostered pets adoptable. Foster Home
ACCORDINGLY, the Foster Home agrees as follows:
- FOSTER HOME DUTIES. Foster Home agrees to do the following:
- Provide humane care and treatment for any pets fostered with the Foster Home, which means providing: sufficient quality and quantity food and potable water, regular veterinary care, regular grooming as necessary to prevent illness or injury, adequate mental and physical stimulation, and a species-appropriate primary enclosure;
- Comply with any medical or training regimens as directed by the ARL, in order to improve the quality of life and/or adoptability of any fostered pets. Further, the Foster Home shall not employ any training, handling or medical/health care methods that have not been approved by the ARL;
- Use all resources available from the ARL to improve the life and future of fostered pets;
- Notify the ARL immediately upon observing any negative changes in a fostered pet’s behavior or health;
- Keep any fostered cats inside (i.e. fostered cats are NOT allowed outdoors);
- Comply with all applicable state, county, and/or municipal laws in fostering pets;
- Immediately return any fostered pet to the ARL upon request, or if the Foster Home is no longer able or willing to continue fostering;
- If Foster Home has concerns, questions, or problems, immediately contact the ARL for assistance in resolving them;
- Foster Home understands that in fostering a pet they may incur some expenses for which they should not expect reimbursement unless they have received prior approval from the Chief Executive Officer of the ARL;
- Foster Home agrees to refrain from giving away any fostered pets, or entrusting said pet(s) to anyone else for care, without the express written permission of the ARL; and
- If a fostered pet is not sterilized, Foster Home will not allow said pet to breed.
- DUTIES OF ARL. The ARL agrees to do the following:
- Provide any and all veterinary care for any pets fostered with the Foster Home;
- Provide emergency assistance to the Foster Home as necessary, including maintaining an emergency contact for the Foster Home;
- Depending on the specific needs of a fostered pet, provide medically-required food, medicine, or equipment for use by the Foster Home in fostering the pet;
- PROHIBITED PRACTICES. THE FOLLOWING PRACTICES ARE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED: (1) Using a chain, rope, cable or other tether as a sole means to restrain or confine a fostered pet inside or outside; (2) Using, or allowing others to use, a fostered pet for vivisection, experimentation, or laboratory testing; (3) Enter, or allow another to enter, a fostered pet into a “contest event” as described in Iowa Code Section 717D.1(3); (4) Allow a human or other animal to consume a fostered pet;
- PROMOTION OF PETS. Foster Home understands that, with respect to fostering a pet under the Shelter Cat Getaway or Home Sweet Home programs, Foster Home is encouraged to promote foster pets for adoption on Facebook pages, to co-workers, family and friends. However, Foster Home is expressly prohibited from promoting fostered pets on Craigslist or any other site not approved by the ARL. If/when the Foster Home finds a potential adopter for a fostered pet, Foster Home will notify and coordinate with ARL on completing adoption paperwork and will not give the pet(s) to the adopter until the paperwork is complete and ARL has approved said transfer.
- FOSTERED PETS PROPERTY OF ARL. Foster Home understands that any pets fostered under this Agreement are the sole property of the ARL. This Agreement does not vest the Foster Home with any property interest in any fostered pet.
- CONSENT TO INSPECTION & SURRENDER OF PET ON DEMAND. Foster Home expressly grants the ARL permission to investigate the Foster Home at any time, including an annual inspection as required by the laws of the State of Iowa, to ensure compliance with this agreement, including any and all duties listed under Paragraph 1 above. The ARL may provide advanced notice of an inspection under its sole discretion. FOSTER HOME EXPRESSLY AGREES THAT IF THE ARL, IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION, DETERMINES THAT A VIOLATION OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT HAS OCCURRED, FOSTER HOME WILL SURRENDER ANY FOSTERED PET(S) TO THE ARL IMMEDIATELY UPON THE ARL'S DEMAND FOR THE PET'S SURRENDER.
- PET RETURNED IN NEED OF CARE: In the event a fostered pet is returned to the ARL with a condition requiring medical care, and an ARL staff veterinarian determines the condition resulted from abuse or neglect, the ARL may obtain treatment from a veterinarian of its choice at the Foster Home’s sole expense. If the ARL staff veterinarian recommends euthanasia in lieu of attempting treatment, Foster Home shall pay the costs of euthanasia and disposal of remains
- TERM OF AGREEMENT & ANNUAL RENEWAL. This Agreement, thereby enabling a Foster Home to foster pets with the ARL, shall remain in force for one (1) year following the effective date of this Agreement, i.e. the date of signature below. Thereafter, this Agreement shall renew for another year term upon approval by the ARL following the annual inspection of the Foster Home as required under Iowa law.
- RELEASE AND INDEMNITY. The Foster Home agrees to release the ARL from any and all claims for bodily injury or property damage to Foster Home and/or members of Foster Home's family which may be caused by said pet. Foster Home further agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the ARL, its officers, agents and employees from any and all claims, lawsuits, and judgements for damages to property or for personal injury brought by any person or entity resulting from Foster Home's adoption, ownership or possession of said pet, including attorney fees and court costs of any legal action brought against the ARL for damages caused by said pet.
- CHOICE OF LAW & VENUE. This agreement shall be interpreted, construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of Iowa. Any and all actions arising from this agreement shall be brought exclusively in the Iowa District Court in and for Polk County, Iowa.
- OTHER TERMS. The ARL makes no guarantees or warranties whatsoever regarding the health, temperament, mental disposition and/or training of the pet identified above. Information provided to Foster Homes is the best information the ARL has. This writing contains the entire agreement of the parties. No changes to this agreement shall be valid unless in writing and signed by both parties. No waiver of any provision of this agreement shall be valid unless in writing and signed by the waiving party. This agreement shall inure to the benefit of, and shall be binding upon, the heirs, executors, legal representatives, next of kin, transferees, successors and assigns of the parties.
FOSTER HOME HEREBY CERTIFIES THAT HE/SHE HAS READ AND UNDERSTANDS THIS AGREEMENT IN FULL, AGREES TO COMPLY WITH ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS, AND EXECUTES THIS AGREEMENT BY CLICKING “I HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THE FOSTER POLICIES” BELOW