Thank you for your interest in the Virginia Zoo’s Conservation Youth Team program.
To be considered for acceptance into this program beginning Summer 2024, please complete this application by March 08, 2024. We want to get to know you, so please be thoughtful in your responses. Give us specific examples to illustrate your thoughts and opinions.
Invitations to interview will be sent via email to the address(es) provided by March 13, 2024 (If you are not sure if you received an invitation, please check your spam folder). If invited, you will need to be available to attend one interview session on March 23, March 24, (or March 25 if unable to attend a weekend interview date).
All accepted applicants are required to attend ALL CYT training, track dates, and Conservation Events (off-site trips) as follows:
SUMMER 2024 (required for First Year CYT members)
- CYT Mandatory Summer Training: Monday, June 17 – Friday, June 21(with Wednesday June 19th off) AND Monday, June 24 – Friday, June 28
- Week 1 required for First Year CYTs, Week 2 required for all CYTs
- Summer Conservation Event: During Week 2 of training, date TBD
- Summer Shifts: Minimum of 2 (guide) or 5 (camp, one week on/one week off schedule) full-day (8:30 am – 4:30 pm) shifts each week. Applicants will commit to the same days each week and must commit to every week of the program. Three absences without make-up days are allowed each semester. Additional absences will require make-up days, scheduled as much in advance as possible, to remain in good standing with the program.
- All possible summer semester shifts: July 1 - August 24
- Guide Track: Sunday-Saturday, one weekend day required
- Camp Track: Monday – Friday
FALL 2023/SPRING 2024 (one semester required for First Year CYT members)
- Fall Mandatory Training Weekend: September 28 and 29, 2024. Mandatory for all CYTs, regardless of whether they are volunteering during the fall semester.
- Fall Conservation Event: This weekend, date TBD
- Spring Mandatory Training Weekend: February 22 and 23, 2025. Mandatory for all CYTs, regardless of whether they are volunteering during the spring semester.
- Spring Conservation Event: This weekend, date TBD
- Fall and/or Spring Shifts: One semester is required. One full-day (8:30 am – 4:00 pm) shift each weekend*. Applicants will commit to the same day each week and must commit to every week of the program. Three absences without make-up days are allowed each semester. Additional absences will require make-up days, scheduled as much in advance as possible, to remain in good standing with the program. *Camp shifts will not be available weekly and will depend on camp schedule.
- Fall program dates fall between: October 5 - December 15, 2024
- Spring program dates fall between: March 1 - May 11, 2025
- Guide: Saturday or Sunday
- Camp: Any scheduled camps, including Winter Break, Spring Break, and possible day camps. Other non-camp opportunities may be available as well.
After your first full year, any two of the three semesters (summer, fall, and spring) plus the mandatory training week/weekends are required to remain in good standing with the program.
If you have any questions during your application, please email email@example.com and we will try to get back to you in 2-3 days!