Volunteer Privacy Notice
The purpose of this Privacy Notice is to tell you what personal information the Council collects from you, how and when it may be collected and what happens to it.
You are providing your information to London Borough of Culture 2020, Brent Council, contact details email@example.com. The Council’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8937 1402.
What information might we collect from you?
- personal information and contact details (for example your name, address, phone number, date of birth)
- special category of data (for example disclosure of health conditions or unspent criminal convictions)
When it may be collected
We will start collecting information when you apply to be a London Borough of Culture 2020 Volunteer. If you go on to become a volunteer with us, there may be other times and situations during your volunteering when we will need to collect and process additional relevant information (such as dietary requirements, uniform size, etc.) in order for us to carry out the management of the volunteering programme.
Why we collect and use your information
When you apply to become a volunteer, we collect and use your information for a number of reasons. These include:
- to assess whether you meet the criteria required for the role
- to communicate with you throughout the process
When you start to volunteer with us:
- to enable managers to make informed decisions when applying the Council’s policies and procedures
- to carry out safeguarding checks and procedures
- to contact you to communicate important information about your volunteering
- to review the effectiveness of our policies in relation to equality and diversity
- to inform the development of recruitment and retention policies
The lawful basis for using your information
We collect and process this information for one or more of the reasons permitted by law, including:
- the data subject gives consent to the processing of their personal data, for the specific purpose of the administration of the volunteering programme
- Relevant special category data is collected in order to run the volunteer programme in accordance with safeguarding and health and safety policies
The information that we ask from applicants is provided to us on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with best practice procedures in volunteer recruitment we must make some of these fields compulsory if you wish to continue with your application.
Storing this information
Information collected from volunteers is via a sign-up form through the Volunteer Management System, Better Impact.
We will hold your information for a period of five years after the information has been collected, after which time all information will be deleted. If we cease to use the Better Impact system after 2020, all of the data will be securely exported and be stored in a secure location on the Brent Server for a period of five years after the volunteer started, after which it will all be deleted. After we cease using Better Impact, Better Impact will delete all records within two months of the end of the contract. If you cease to be a volunteer with us, your information automatically becomes archived and your account will be deactivated. If you wish, you can request for your information to be ‘removed’ from the system. The Council will need to keep a record of the minimum information needed for reference in relation to the retention period of five years. This will be a minimum level of information, will only be accessible by a Council officer with a senior level of authority, and all information will be deleted after the five years. All information is stored in compliance with GDPR.
Who we share your information with
Where necessary or required we share information with:
- delivery partner organisations who will be managing volunteers
- lead volunteers who will be coordinating a team of volunteers
- any emergency services and first aid providers in case of emergency
Why we share this information
The information we share will only be directly relevant to supporting the volunteers in carrying out their role. Any activity that requires this information sharing will be clearly identified in the description of the activity, and you can choose to sign up or not. We do not share information about you with anyone without consent, unless the law and our policies warrant us doing so.
Data collection requirements
Most information we collect from you is stored on servers that are owned and maintained by Better Impact (who support our Volunteer Management system). Any other information will be stored securely on the Brent Council Servers.
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, you have the right to request access to information about you that we hold.
To make a request for your personal information, contact your Volunteer Coordinator.
You also have the right to:
- object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
- object to decisions being taken by automated means
- in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and
- claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection Regulations
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we ask that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.
Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/