What is Expected of All Volunteers:
- A registration donation of $50.00 ($25.00 for Junior Volunteers) made payable to the New York Marine Rescue Center
- A minimum commitment of two shifts of service per month (8 hours total) for one full year
- Successful completion of Virtual Volunteer Orientation and On-Site Rescue Center Orientation
- Utilize our online volunteer system to sign-up for shifts and manage your volunteer schedule
- Compliance with the policies and procedures of Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center and the New York Marine Rescue Center
- Behave in a professional and courteous manner at all times, avoiding conversation topics that might isolate, discriminate against or make other individuals feel uncomfortable
- Proper uniform attire worn at all times while volunteering
- Ability to work independently and as a team under potentially stressful conditions
- One donated item per year to be provided to the New York Marine Rescue Center for events and fundraisers.
- Any aids and/or caretakers planning to attend shifts with a volunteer must apply and attend all necessary trainings with their volunteers.
What is Expected of Volunteers Under 18 Years of Age:
- 12-15 year olds can attend a volunteer orientation with a parent / guardian volunteer
- A parent/guardian volunteer must be present for every volunteer shift until the junior volunteer is at least 16 years old. Parents/guardians must sign up to volunteer.
- 16 and 17 year olds will need their parent to sign a liability form prior to the orientation but will not need a chaperone to attend an orientation or be present while volunteering
- Anyone under 18 years old is not eligible to volunteer in hands on animal positions.
- Free admission to Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center on day of shift
- A 30% discount in the café and gift shop upon completion of training
- One free meal on day of volunteer activity, with a minimum of four hours of service for the day. Additional meal restrictions apply
- A membership to the Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center after 50 hours of service, renewable on anniversary date for active volunteers
- Two free guest passes to the Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center for every six months of continuous volunteer service after initial 50 hours.
- Annual recognition at event/awards ceremony
- Opportunity to participate in challenging and rewarding life experiences which offer personal enrichment
- Training materials and unlimited learning opportunities offering the ability to acquire new skills and knowledge
I fully understand that I am responsible for meeting the criterion listed above in order to remain a volunteer with the New York Marine Rescue Center (NYMRC) and the Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center (LIAEC). I also acknowledge that I will be entitled only to the above benefits as a reward for my active volunteer status. I do not expect any monetary compensation for the services I am providing and authorize NYMRC and LIAEC to use, display, and/or publish any photographs/videos of myself while volunteering.