Statement of Understanding
It is the policy of this organization to provide equal opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, and/or disability.
Thank you for completing this application and for your interest in volunteering with Saint Vincent de Paul.
Statement of Understanding
- St. Vincent de Paul (SVdP) is a faith-based organization. Our mission is to provide spiritual, material and financial assistance to those in need.
- Morals & Ethics: As a faith-based organization, we practice kindness, respect, non-judgment, courtesy, integrity and honesty when interacting with customers, employees, volunteers and guests. Actions that go against these practices are not allowed.
- Out of respect of our faith based-organization, swearing, offensive language or actions will not be tolerated.
- Support; Our goal is to help you be successful in your time volunteering with SVdP, and that you work in a healthy, safe, and positive work environment. If at any time you would like additional support or training, or would like to have a confidential conversation, please contact the store manager or executive director for a private meeting.
- SVdP is a drug and alcohol-free work place. A drug-test is required, prior to start date, for any employees utilizing heavy machinery, operating a forklift or driving a SVdP vehicle. If for any reason, you appear to be intoxicated or on drugs, you will be sent home and required to pass a drug test prior to returning.
- A clean background check is required of all volunteers prior to start date. We do not hire employees or volunteers with a Level 1 or 2 felony conviction.
- If you have any medical conditions or physical restrictions, inform the hiring manager prior to start date.
- Dress Code: Business casual. You may not wear any revealing clothing including tank tops, tube tops, sleeveless shirts, low slung pants, and/or sweats. All logos must be appropriate. Do not wear any open toed or open backed shoes. Dress code is enforced. You may be sent home if you are not following this dress code.
- Work Hours and Attendance: You are expected to be here on time and prepared to start you shift. If for any reason you need to change your hours, it needs to be approved by your manager a minimum of two-days in advance. If you are not able to make a daily shift, you must call in as soon as you know you are unable to come in, or a minimum of two-hours prior to your shift. If you do not call in advance, we will assume that you quit.
- Breaks: Volunteers get a 15-minute break for every 4-hours worked. If you work more than 5 hours, you are required by law to sign-out for a 30-minute lunch. You may waive that right at any time. During an 8-hour shift you will get two 15-minute breaks and a 30-minute lunch. When returning from a break or lunch, report back in with your manager.
- Smoking: There is a designated smoking area at the far end of the production building. Smoking is only permitted during breaks/lunch only and is also allowed in your personal vehicle. Butts are to be disposed of in the provided garbage bins and not left on the ground. You are only allowed to smoke during your lunch/break.
- Parking: Parking is on the opposite side of the fence on Madison street or along the street in the gravel. Please do not park inside the gated area as this is reserved for customers.
- Cell Phones: Please keep personal cell phone usage to a minimum. Breaks/lunch are provided if you need to use your cell phone. If continual cell phone usage is noted by your manager, you will be given a verbal warning, then a written warning, and possible termination. If you have an emergency and you need to use your cell phone, please inform your manager and time will be provided to you.
- Time Off: If you need to take time off, please let your lead know three days in advance.
- Shopping: As a valued volunteer, you will be given 25% off full priced items in the thrift store. You may shop before or after work. Items are not allowed to be set aside for purchase and items must be on the sales floor for at least 24 hours prior to purchase. No shopping is allowed from any of the processing docks or production areas/buildings or from any merchandise that has not been sorted and brought to the store. Theft is grounds for immediate termination.
- Lunch Room: We provide a lunch room with a stove, microwave, fridge and television available for you to utilize during your lunch and breaks. If you use the kitchen, please clean up after yourself. If there are any items marked “HYS” (help yourself), please help yourself to them.
- Name Badge: It is mandatory that you wear a name badge that is visible while working. The store manager will provide a name badge for you on your first day. Name badges are to be stored at the store.
- Safety: There are eye washing stations and first aid kits in the store. The store manager will show you where they are located as well as provide a brief emergency safety training. If you are hurt while volunteering, you must immediately inform your manager and written documentation is required.
As a volunteer working for St. Vincent de Paul, I agree to the following:
- All written material concerning clients will be maintained in a secure area. No unauthorized individual will have access to this information. Discussions regarding clients will be held in staff offices or other appropriate areas to ensure privacy. No information about clients will be discussed with family, friends, or any unauthorized person. To discuss privileged information with other agencies or professionals, written consent is required by client.
- No discussion of material concerning employee’s private matters will be held outside of staff offices or appropriate places that assure privacy. No information about employees will be discussed with family, friends, or any unauthorized person.