All volunteers will meet the following basic criteria:
- Applicant must be 14 years of age or older
- Must complete own application with accurate information
- Applicants 18 years of age or older must consent to a criminal background check
- Applicant cannot apply for court ordered or court required volunteer hours
- Must attend an orientation and follow the volunteer position description
- Must set and maintain a planned work schedule
- Volunteers must work a minimum 20 hours in the first 30-45 days of service
- Must ensure answers provided on application are true and complete to the best of your knowledge.
- Must abide by the policies set forth by the Houston Public Library.
- Must agree to accept release from assignment if conduct or performance is deemed unsatisfactory for any reason by supervisor.
- Must agree that the Houston Public Library nor the City of Houston will be liable for injuries by applicant, or any other person, as a result of applicant's action, or the action of others.
- The Houston Public Library places volunteers at the organization's discretion.