Risk Warning, Disclaimer and Indemnity – Officials
Risk Warning, Disclaimer and Indemnity
Motorsport Activities are inherently dangerous recreational activities and there is significant risk of injury, disability or death. If you do not wish to be exposed to such risks, then you should not participate in the Motorsport Activities.
Acknowledgement of Risks
I acknowledge that the risks associated with attending or participating in Motorsport Activities include but are not limited to the risk that I may suffer harm as a result of:
- motor vehicles (or parts of them) colliding with other motor vehicles or persons or property;
- other participants acting dangerously or with lack of skills;
- high levels of noise exposure;
- acts of violence and other harmful acts (whether intentional or inadvertent) committed by persons attending or participating in the event; and
- the failure or unsuitability of facilities (including grand-stands, fences and guard rails) to ensure my safety.
Exclusion of Liability, Release and Indemnity
In exchange for being able to attend or participate in the Motorsport Activities, I will and agree to:
- to release Motorsport Australia and the Entities to the extent that any or all of them are providing Recreational Services from all liability for:
- my death;
- any physical or mental injury (including the aggravation, acceleration or recurrence of such an injury);
- the contraction, aggravation or acceleration of a disease including but not only COVID-19;
- the coming into existence, the aggravation, acceleration or recurrence of any other condition, circumstance, occurrence, activity, form of behaviour, course of conduct or state of affairs:
- that is or may be harmful or disadvantageous to me or the community; or
- that may result in harm or disadvantage to me or the community,
- any claim for any costs and expenses I may incur as a consequence of any of the above; arising from my participation in or attendance at the Motorsport Activities;
- to indemnify and hold harmless and keep indemnified Motorsport Australia and the Entities to the maximum extent permitted by law in respect of any Claim by any person; and
- to attend at or participate in the Motorsport Activities at my own risk.
I understand that:
- nothing in this document excludes, restricts or modifies any rights that I may have as a result of significant personal injury that is caused by the Reckless Conduct of Motorsport Australia and the Entities as the supplier of the Motorsport Activities and Recreational Services;
- nothing in this document prevents Motorsport Australia and the Entities from relying on any laws (including statute and common law) that limit or preclude their liability;
- nothing in this document excludes any term or guarantee which under statute cannot be excluded, however the liability of Motorsport Australia and the Entities is limited to the minimum liability allowable by law;
- nothing in this document precludes me from making a claim under a Motorsport Australia insurance policy where I am expressly entitled to make a claim under that insurance policy; and
- Motorsport Australia has arranged for limited personal injury insurance coverage which may provide me with some protection for loss, damage or injury that I may suffer during my participation in the Motorsport Activities. I acknowledge and accept that the insurance taken out by Motorsport Australia may not provide me with full indemnity for loss, damage or injury that I may suffer during my participation in the Motorsport Activities, and that I may have to pay the excess if a Claim is made under an insurance policy on my behalf. I agree that my own insurance arrangements are ultimately my responsibility and I will arrange any additional coverage at my expense after taking into account Motorsport Australia’s insurance arrangements, this document and my own circumstances.
Where Motorsport Activities are held in the following jurisdictions, I acknowledge that I have also read and accept the following warnings:
Under Australian Government Consumer Law (which is part of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Commonwealth)), several guarantees are implied into contracts for the supply of certain goods and services. I agree that the application of all or any of the provisions of Subdivision B of Division 1 of Part 3-2 of Australian Consumer Law (i.e. guarantees relating to the supply of services), the exercise of rights conferred by those provisions, and any liability of Motorsport Australia and the Entities for a failure to comply with any such guarantees, are excluded. However, such exclusion is limited to liability for:
- death, physical or mental injury (including aggravation, acceleration or recurrence of such an injury of the individual);
- contraction, aggravation or acceleration of a disease of an individual; or
- the coming into existence, the aggravation, acceleration or recurrence of any other condition, circumstance, occurrence, activity, form of behaviour, course of conduct or state of affairs in relation to an individual that is or may be harmful or disadvantageous to the individual or the community, or that may result in harm or disadvantage to the individual or the community.
This exclusion does not apply to significant personal injury suffered by me as a result of the reckless conduct of Motorsport Australia and the Entities.
Warning Applicable in Relation to Motorsport Activities Held in Victoria
Warning Under The Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012:
Under The Australian Consumer Law (Victoria), several statutory guarantees apply to the supply of certain goods and services. These guarantees mean that the supplier named on this form is required to ensure that the recreational services it supplies to me:
- are rendered with due care and skill;
- are reasonably fit for any purpose which I either expressly or by implication, make known to the supplier; and
- might reasonably be expected to achieve any result I have made known to the supplier.
Under section 22 of the Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012 (Vic), the supplier is entitled to ask me to agree that these conditions do not apply to me. I understand that if I agree to this form, I am agreeing that any rights to sue the supplier under the Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012 if I am killed or injured because the services were not in accordance with these guarantees, are excluded, restricted or modified in the way set out in this form.
Note: I note that the change to my rights, as set out in this form, does not apply if my death or injury is due to gross negligence on the supplier’s part. “Gross negligence” in relation to an act or omission, means doing the act or omitting to do an act with reckless disregard, with or without consciousness, for the consequences of the act or omission. See regulation 5 of the Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Regulations 2012 and section 22(3)(b) of the Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012.
a. “Claim” means and includes any action, suit, proceeding, claim, demand or cause of action however arising including but not limited to negligence, BUT does NOT include a claim under a Motorsport Australia insurance policy by any person expressly entitled to make a claim under that insurance policy;
b. “Entities” means event and competition organisers/promoters/managers, land and track owners/managers/administrators/lessees, Motorsport Australia affiliated clubs, state and territory governments and insureds listed in Motorsport Australia’s public/product/professional indemnity insurance policies and each of their related bodies corporate (including their related bodies corporate) and each of their organs and agencies, officers/president/directors/executives, employees, servants, agents, partners, providers, members, competitors, drivers, co-drivers, navigators, officials, crew members, service crew, delegates, licence holders, representatives, commissions, committees, advisers, trustees, councils, panels, shareholders, volunteers, officials, appointees, delegated bodies and sponsors;
c. “Motorsport Activities” means any motorsport activities or Recreational Services which are permitted or approved which Motorsport Australia regulates or administers or otherwise are under the responsibility / control of Motorsport Australia;
d. “Motorsport Australia” means the Confederation of Australia Motor Sport Ltd. trading as Motorsport Australia;
e. “Reckless Conduct” means conduct where the supplier of the recreational services is aware, or should reasonably have been aware, of a significant risk that the conduct could result in personal injury to another person and engages in the conduct despite the risk and without adequate justification;
f. “Recreational Services” means (unless otherwise defined in this document) services that consist of participation in:
- a. a sporting activity; or
- b. a similar leisure time pursuit or any other activity that:
- i. involves a significant degree of physical exertion or physical risk; and
- ii. is undertaken for the purposes of recreation, enjoyment or leisure.
Personal Accident Benefits:
I note that by becoming a volunteer official for Motorsport Australia I will receive the benefit of Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Cover and Personal Accident Cover whilst attending Motorsport Australia sanctioned motorsport events. Details of these various forms of protections are available at the Motorsport Australia website at motorsport.org.au/clubs/insurance.
Any person making a false declaration is liable to refusal and cancellation of licence and/or insurance cover and/or entry to a motorsport activity I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in motorsport activities being provided by Motorsport Australia and the Entities. I agree to be bound by the rules, regulations and policies of Motorsport Australia at all times.
The information I have entered into this form is true and correct and I will advise Motorsport Australia immediately if any of the information I have given is no longer true and correct. I have read, understood, acknowledge and agree to the above including the exclusion of statutory guarantees, warning, assumption of risk, release and indemnity.