Volunteer and Foster Code of Ethics
Chesapeake Animal Services
VOLUNTEER/FOSTER CODE OF ETHICS
Volunteers and Fosters play a necessary and essential role in our organization and in our daily operations. By volunteering your time and talents, you make a positive contribution and difference in the lives of the animals at the shelter. Being a Chesapeake Animal Services (CAS) Volunteer/Foster also means that you are a representative for the City of Chesapeake. Your conduct and interaction with staff, other volunteers and the public should always be professional and courteous. Your commitment to shelter animals and staff should reflect integrity, honesty, and compassion.
As a Chesapeake Animal Services volunteer, I pledge to:
- Offer courtesy and respect to all people.
- Hold myself responsible for my personal safety, the safety of the public, and the safety of shelter animals.
- Report all injuries immediately.
- Respect and follow shelter operational rules and guidelines.
- Ask for assistance in the event of uncertainty.
- Acknowledge and adhere to my physical and emotional limits.
- Honor my service commitment to the Volunteer Program.
- Communicate openly and honestly.
- Promote a positive service environment through my attitude and behavior.
Terms and Conditions for Volunteering and/or Fostering
- I fully understand and agree to familiarize myself with CAS policies and procedures and will fully comply with both the letter and spirit of these policies and procedures.
- I fully understand and agree that my conduct towards any and all CAS animals will be compassionate and humane.
- I fully understand and agree that I will not represent CAS outside my designated volunteer/foster position and/or assigned task(s). This representation restriction includes verbal, written, and electronic communications.
- I acknowledge that the use of technology is required in my duties as a CAS volunteer/foster. I agree to utilize technologies deemed appropriate by CAS. I acknowledge that the primary form of communication used at CAS is email, and I commit to reading and responding to shelter emails in a timely and professional manner.
- I fully understand and agree that failure to comply with any of the obligations outlined in this Volunteer/Foster Agreement may result in my termination from the Volunteer or Foster Program.