Thank you for offering your time to volunteer with Ruff Haven Crisis Sheltering. The work we do for the animals would not be possible without the help of our volunteers. Please read through the agreement below, complete the form at the bottom and return to the Volunteer Coordinator.
- VOLUNTARY ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND PARTICIPATION. I acknowledge that I have voluntarily agreed to serve as a volunteer for Ruff Haven Crisis Sheltering, a nonprofit corporation organized under the laws of the State of Utah, whose mission is to provide a temporary safe haven for owned companion animals. I am referred to as a “Volunteer.” I offer to perform as a Volunteer of my own volition. No one has demanded that I participate in any activity with Ruff Haven.
- NATURE AND SCOPE OF SERVICES. As a Volunteer, I will be contributing my time and effort to various programs of Ruff Haven and performing a wide range of Services (collectively, the “Services”). The Services will be performed by me as assigned by an officer, director, employee or another volunteer of Ruff Haven. In the course of performing the Services, I agree:
- To read the Volunteer Handbook (if applicable) and otherwise complete all required orientation, training, and paperwork relating to my volunteer position(s).
- To disclose any physical or psychological limitations to appropriate staff before participating in any activity. Since I may be interacting with animals, both healthy and sick, big and small, and may be lifting, carrying, moving, or otherwise engaging in physical labor, I will be respectful of my own limitations and will inform staff immediately of any such limitations.
- To read and to obey all safety rules and regulations, especially at the Ruff Haven crisis facility. In the interest of the safety of the animals, staff, and volunteers, I acknowledge that Ruff Haven has the right to revoke volunteer privileges if these rules and regulations are not followed.
- To treat all Ruff Haven volunteers, the animals, property, tools, and equipment with respect and kindness. I will also return all Ruff Haven property when my volunteer relationship ends.
- That either I or Ruff Haven can terminate this relationship at will.
- NO COMPENSATION. I agree to provide my Services without compensation. I will not be compensated for my efforts nor am I an agent or contractor of Ruff Haven Crisis Sheltering. I agree that I am not and will not become an employee, partner, agent, contractor or principal of Ruff Haven upon execution of this agreement or the performance of the Services.
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY OWN ACTS AND OMISSIONS. I hereby agree to be legally and financially responsible and will indemnify and hold Ruff Haven Crisis Sheltering harmless for my own acts and omissions relating to the service I am voluntarily providing to Ruff Haven Crisis Sheltering. I acknowledge that I am responsible for providing my own medical, liability, and auto insurance during my volunteer service. I understand that I am not covered by worker’s compensation nor insured by Ruff Haven during the performance of my volunteer duties and tasks, including when driving a vehicle or transporting an animal.
- ASSUMPTION OF RISK. I am voluntarily participating in the activities of Ruff Haven with full knowledge of the risks and dangers involved and hereby agree to accept any and all risks of injury, death, or damage to myself and/ or my personal property. As a volunteer, I may come into contact with and interact with animals, and such work entails risk of personal injury due to proximity to animals, dangerous equipment, long-distance driving, and other
considerations. These include, but are not limited to, being bitten, kicked, clawed, tripped, and possibly exposed to zoonotic diseases.
- PHOTO, VIDEO AND AUDIO RELEASE. I understand that as a volunteer of Ruff Haven Crisis Sheltering, I may be recorded on film, video or other electronic recorded images or other media recordings of my name and likeness (“A-V Recordings”) for any purpose related to furtherance of the objectives of Ruff Haven. In particular, I grant Ruff Haven permission to copyright and use, reuse, publish, and republish A-V Recordings, without restriction as to changes or alteration for art, advertising, trade, or any other purpose. Further, I understand that all work product I create in my capacity as a volunteer for Ruff Haven will be the property of Ruff Haven and that Ruff Haven will have the sole right to use, sell, license, publish, or transfer any such work product, in any and all media formats, including print, mechanical and electronic formats. I will disclose any such work product to Ruff Haven and assign all rights thereto to Ruff Haven.
- RELEASE. As consideration for being permitted by Ruff Haven to participate in activities and provide Services, I hereby agree that I, my assignees, heirs, distributees, guardians, and legal representatives will not make a claim against, sue, or attach the property of Ruff Haven for injury or damage resulting from any act, omission, negligence or other acts, howsoever caused, by any employee, agent, contractor, or representative of Ruff Haven as a result of my participation in activities and performance of the Services and any A-V Recordings. I hereby release Ruff Haven from all actions, claims, or demands that I, my assignees, heirs, distributees, guardians, and legal representatives now have or may hereafter have for injury or damage resulting from my participation in activities and performance of the Services and any A-V Recordings.
- CONFIDENTIALITY. During my association with Ruff Haven and thereafter, I will keep confidential, refrain from disclosing to others, and use only in the performance of my volunteer duties, all confidential information of Ruff Haven Crisis Sheltering that I develop or learn about during the course of my association. I understand that this agreement covers all confidential business and technical information and know-how of or about Ruff Haven which is not generally known to persons outside of Ruff Haven and which I have not been specifically authorized to disclose or use. Examples of confidential information include, but are not limited to, information on finances, membership and donors, volunteer performance, research and development, the condition of sanctuary animals, campaigns, outreach programs and information received from others that Ruff Haven has agreed to keep confidential.
- I HAVE READ THIS RELEASE AGREEMENT AND FULLY UNDERSTAND THAT I WILL RELINQUISH ALL CLAIMS OR ACTIONS KNOWN NOW OR IN THE FUTURE AGAINST RUFF HAVEN CRISIS SHELTERING. I am of legal age and legally competent to sign this agreement. I am signing this agreement of my own free will without the influence of a Ruff Haven volunteer.
- ARBITRATION. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to this agreement or its breach will be settled by arbitration in the State I first perform volunteer duties for Ruff Haven, even if it pre-dates the date of this agreement, and continuing as long as I continue to be a Volunteer and thereafter as is necessary to protect the interests and rights of Ruff Haven arising herein with respect to confidentiality and use of my work products and/or A-V material as authorized above.
- TERM OF AGREEMENT. I acknowledge that this agreement will apply to the entire term of my volunteer relationship, starting with the date I first perform volunteer duties for Ruff Haven, even if it pre-dates the date of this agreement, and continuing as long as I continue to be a Volunteer and thereafter as is necessary to protect the interests and rights of Ruff Haven arising herein with respect to confidentiality and use of my work products and/or A-V material as authorized above.
- GOVERNING LAW. This agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Utah without regard to conflicts of laws or principles.