- must be 16 years of age
- volunteer positions with direct patient support must be 18 years of age
- able to attend an orientation &/or training session
- be in good physical and mental health
- current immunizations up to date (including flu vaccines)
- are able to make a 6 to 12 month commitment, depending on volunteer assignment
- provide two character references
- complete an online course regarding Privacy and Confidentiality after being interviewed and accepted
- submit an online Criminal Record Clearance after being interviewed and accepted
- for positions with direct patient contact at BC Children's & Sunny Hill, paid or volunteer experience with children is required.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA): BC Children's Hospital and Sunny Hill Health Centre, BC Woman's Health Centre and BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services is committed to providing an environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity and free from Discrimination and Harassment.
The PHSA considers workplace Discrimination and Harassment a serious offence and will not tolerate harassing behaviour which may undermine the respect, dignity, self-esteem or productivity of any employee/volunteer.
In order to assist the PHSA in promoting a respectful working environment for all, it is essential that staff/volunteers are able to come forward with complaints that they may have under this Policy.
All complaints will be taken seriously and will be dealt with in a confidential, impartial and timely manner.
Violations of this Policy will not be tolerated and may result in disciplinary actions being taken, up to and including termination of employment/assignment and/or revocation of privileges.