Overview of the Tech Support Program
The North Shore Women's Centre is a non-profit organization working with self-identifying women and gender-diverse individuals on the North Shore. Our mission is to improve the social, economic, legal and political status of women, and to encourage and support self-empowerment by acting as a resource and a catalyst for change, from feminist perspectives.
Throughout the Covid-19 pandemic, the world has become increasingly virtual. We have seen the significant barriers this has created for many women who require additional skills and information to use technology, so we felt it was important to address these barriers.
Volunteering on the Tech Support team, your role will take place remotely from home, for up to 2 hours per week. You will be supporting clients with a variety of tech issues and tech learning, such as using Zoom, sending emails, cell phone and computer basics, learning how to use apps, and more. We will match you with clients who request support that aligns with your tech abilities, and you will be calling them on your phone with your number blocked. On occasion, you may provide support in person at the North Shore Women's Centre with COVID-19 safety measures in place, only if you are comfortable.
- Minimum commitment of at least 6 months
- Access to your own phone and computer
- Ability to comfortably use and teach others how to use a wide range of technology
- Ability to provide support in more than one language is an asset but not necessary
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Patience, compassion, and people skills