Robinson Volunteer Policies
ROBINSON NATURE CENTER VOLUNTEER AGREEMENT
The Robinson Nature Center Volunteer Handbook can be found on Better Impact under Documents.
Volunteers at Robinson Nature Center are an integral part of all operations – from trail maintenance to programming. We are very excited at your interest in volunteering with us! As a county-owned facility, we want you to be aware of some policies that may be different from those at non-profit nature centers you may have volunteered with before.
These policies are in place for both your safety during your service as a volunteer and for the safety of the children you may be working with. Please see the following policies that Robinson Nature Center volunteers must agree to. Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any questions!
I agree to perform the volunteer duties to which I am assigned to the best of my ability and in a professional manner. As a Howard County volunteer, the lasting impression you make on those you serve reflects directly on all of us. Please be sure your words and deeds will help build our program and its reputation for quality. In dealing with other Howard County residents, you must be unfailingly polite and mannerly. Should you find yourself in a situation where courtesy is becoming difficult, please immediately refer the matter to the nearest responsible County employee.
I agree to notify a County employee if I have a safety concern. I will report to my supervisor at once if I see someone injured or if I am injured.
I understand that as a volunteer:
1.I am not entitled to wages for the time I spend in a volunteer assignment.
2. I will not, as a result of this service, be entitled to a job with the County at the conclusion of the experience and will receive no preference in hiring should I hereafter seek a position of employment with the County.
3. I am not covered by Workers’ Compensation. Therefore, the County encourages me to carry my own health insurance and I release and hold the County harmless for any injury sustained in the performance of my volunteer duties unless caused by the sole negligence of the County.
4. I will be afforded liability protection for any damage I might cause to third parties to the same extent as County employees as long as I am acting as directed, within the scope of my authority and duties as a volunteer.
5. Howard County assumes no liability for damage to my personal property or for accidents occurring if I use my own vehicle during the volunteer activity. My own auto insurance will apply to all accidents involving my vehicle.
6. I will be selected to serve at the discretion of the Volunteer Coordinator and may be dismissed from my volunteer duties at any time, with or without cause.
Howard County Government reserves the right to photograph or record programs and volunteers for publicity purposes. I grant Howard County Government permission to use my photograph or other recording of my volunteer activity for any legitimate purpose.
I grant permission for an agent or employee of Howard County Government to conduct a background investigation to include, but not be limited to, contact with references. I understand that my volunteer service may be contingent upon receiving satisfactory background check results if I am aged 18 or older.
I certify that the statements made in this Volunteer Application are true, correct, and given voluntarily.
On behalf of myself and/or my child, I understand that there are inherent dangers in any recreational activity or program such as slips, falls, and various athletic injuries related to sports and play. I/we hereby release and hold harmless Howard County, Maryland, its officials, agents and employees from liability or obligation arising from, or in connection with, my/my child’s volunteer activities.
I understand that if I am unable to show up for a scheduled time for any reason, I am to notify the Nature Center as soon as possible.
I will also not abuse any information, materials, or equipment I may use or obtain while volunteering.
Volunteers under the age of 16 must have an adult on the property while they are volunteering. This is a requirement until the volunteer turns age 18.