Volunteer Policies & Agreement
⇒ Please note:
This application cannot be saved and must be completed once started. It may take approximately 10-20 minutes to complete the application. Before starting, please have the following information ready:
- Contact information for two (non-relative) references
- Contact information for at least one emergency contact
Policies and Agreement
Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, Reconciliation, Accessibility:
At Nova Scotia Health we value an environment that honours and recognizes equity, diversity and inclusion among our Physicians, staff, learners, volunteers, clients, patients, and residents as one of our unwavering principles. We strive to respect, honour, serve, and include people of all races, religions, genders, gender expressions, languages, sexual orientations, ages, abilities and cultures.
All Nova Scotia Health volunteers are required to maintain the confidentiality of any information obtained while performing their volunteer role. This includes all information about patients, clients, residents, families, employees, medical staff and fellow volunteers.
- Nova Scotia Health strives to provide a safe workplace for all employees and volunteers.
- Safety is everyone’s responsibility - your personal health and that of our patients, your fellow volunteers, staff, and our many visitors depend on all of us taking safety issues seriously.
Volunteer responsibilities include:
- Knowing and exercising safe work practices
- Reporting unsafe conditions or acts
- Receiving appropriate training
- Knowing and exercising rights
NS Health employees, physicians, students, and volunteers are to project a professional image to patients, residents, visitors, and the community and are therefore asked to dress appropriately for a professional healthcare setting. Appropriate attire should be clean, in good repair, and appropriate for the activity. For further information, refer to the NS Health policy on Dress Standards. Volunteers are required to wear their volunteer ID badge at all times when volunteering.
By submitting a volunteer application, I (Volunteer) acknowledge that I am 16 years old or older* and that I am fully vaccinated. I further agree to bring forward any questions or concerns that I may have to my program supervisor and the volunteer resources consultant, as applicable. I will notify my program supervisor right away if I need to be absent due to illness or emergency. If I find that I am unable to fulfill my responsibilities as a volunteer, I will inform the volunteer resources consultant.
* Community Health Boards will accept high school students under the age of 16 as volunteers, subject to approval after the standard Community Health Board member applicant interview.