Open Heart Kitchen (OHK) is committed to treating every volunteer, employee, and client with dignity, compassion, and respect. As a volunteer, you must be aware of and comply with our volunteer policies. Open Heart Kitchen reserves the right to terminate service of any volunteer who violates our policies, or whose work and/or conduct is found to be unacceptable by their assigned supervisor.
Becoming a Volunteer
ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST BE AT LEAST 14 YEARS OLD.
- Volunteers must complete an application and sign the Volunteer Liability Waiver and Agreement.
- Volunteers must watch the Handwashing and Personal Hygiene video and the Kitchen 101 video. Links to the videos are posted on the OHK website and Volunteer Portal.
Teen Volunteers (ages 14-17)
- Teen volunteers must complete an application. Both the teen volunteer and parent or legal guardian must sign the Volunteer Liability Waiver and Agreement.
- Teen must watch the Handwashing and Personal Hygiene video and the Kitchen 101 video. Links to the videos are posted on the OHK website and Volunteer Portal.
- Teen volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult volunteer (1 adult per 3 teens under age 16).
- Volunteer group leaders must work with OHK’s volunteer services staff to register the group.
- Group Volunteers must sign the Volunteer Liability Waiver and Agreement.
- Group Volunteers ages 14-17 and their parent or legal guardian must sign the Volunteer Liability Waiver and Agreement.
- Group Volunteers must watch the Handwashing and Personal Hygiene video and the Kitchen 101 video. Links to the videos will be provided by OHK’s volunteer services staff.
- Group Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult volunteer (1 adult per 3 teens under age 16).
- Volunteers must schedule their shifts in advance. OHK does not accept walk-in volunteers.
- Volunteers must sign in and out for every shift.
- Volunteers must wear appropriate clothing, including completely-closed rubber sole shoes.
- Volunteers can wear a hat, scarf, or bandana. Otherwise, all volunteers will be required to wear hairnets provided by OHK.
- Please leave valuables at home or out-of-sight in a locked vehicle. OHK has limited secure storage space and will not be held responsible for personal items.
- Volunteers are responsible for the completion and submission of forms for proof of community service hours.
- OHK relies heavily on volunteers. It is very important for volunteers to show up on time.
- Volunteers are expected to work for the entire length of the shift and must be willing to perform ALL volunteer duties.
- If a volunteer should need to leave early, the volunteer must notify their assigned supervisor before leaving.
- Volunteers must notify OHK volunteer services staff of any shift cancellations at least 8 hours prior to the beginning of a shift.
- Volunteers must treat clients, other volunteers, and staff with dignity, compassion, and respect.
- Volunteers may smoke in designated areas only.
- OHK is a drug- and alcohol-free workplace. Any volunteer who distributes, possesses, consumes or is under the influence of drugs (including marijuana) or alcohol, or who smells of drugs or alcohol, will be asked to leave immediately.
- Volunteers must maintain a professional relationship with clients at all times.
- Information, both verbal and written, regarding clients, employees, or volunteers is to be kept confidential at all times.
- Whenever a volunteer has a problem or concern with OHK, the volunteers should contact a volunteer services staff member for a copy of OHK’s Grievance Policies and Procedures.
- Open Heart Kitchen does not allow proselytizing.
- Volunteers must always be safety conscious. This includes preventing injuries by using proper lifting techniques and asking for help if needed. Volunteers must report any unsafe conditions or practices to their supervisor.
- Volunteers must not operate any machinery or equipment unless authorized by their supervisor.
- Volunteers must immediately inform their supervisor if they suffer from fatigue, illness, discomfort due to repetitive tasks, side effects of medication, or any other causes that may affect workplace safety.
- Volunteers must not engage in any horseplay or rough-housing.
- Volunteers must keep the workspace and restrooms clean and orderly. Stack objects at least 6” off the floor and ensure they are placed properly so they do not fall or obstruct aisles, doors, fire exits, or stairs.
- Volunteers must wash their hands in between each assigned task, after eating, smoking, touching their face or hair, or using the restroom.
- Volunteers must not use cellular/smart phones, headphones, iPods, MP3 players, or other electronic devices while performing volunteer activities as these devices may impede awareness and alertness.
No Discrimination / No Harassment Policy
Open Heart Kitchen strictly prohibits discrimination and harassment on the basis of sex (which includes discrimination and harassment based on gender, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), as well as discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, national origin, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, family care or medical leave status, or any other legally protected characteristic. Harassment on the basis of gender is defined, generally, as unwelcome sexual advances, request for sexual favors, and other physical, verbal, or visual conduct of a sexual nature. This includes the harassment of men by women, harassment of women by men, and the gender-based harassment of individuals of the same sex as the harasser and can take many different forms (overt or subtle).
Right to Revise
Open Heart Kitchen reserves the right to revise, modify, delete or add to any of the policies stated in this publication.