Thank you for volunteering with the City of Vancouver!
The City values the work you do and is committed to providing a safe environment for volunteers. There are a number of ways in which the City provides for your protection while on a volunteer assignment for the City, including indemnification, insurance, and training.
To begin, please take some time now to review the VEMA Volunteer Handbook. All of the information related to the City's overall volunteer program, including protections for volunteers, is provided in this document. The Handbook includes the bylaw and policies that govern the City's volunteer program and describes the roles and responsibilities of volunteers and of the City.
Once you have reviewed the VEMA Volunteer Handbook and the Volunteer Form, select ‘accept’. If you would like to review the form at a later date, a sample version of the form is available under ‘Files’ on the MyVolunteer homepage, or refer to the VEMA Volunteer Handbook.
AGE 19 YEARS AND OLDER
We are pleased that you are interested in volunteering with the City of Vancouver to help make it one of the most livable cities in world. Without the support of incredible and dedicated volunteers such as yourself, we would not be able to offer all of the services that we do within the community. We are committed to creating meaningful and safe opportunities for volunteers and expect that all volunteers commit to acting as a representative of the City and engage with the public, City employees and other volunteers with respect and integrity.
I wish to act as a volunteer for and under the direction of the Vancouver Emergency Management Agency Volunteer Program (“The Program”). I know and accept that, in respect of my participation as a volunteer in the Program, I am not and will not become an employee or agent of the City and I am not and will not be entitled to any compensation or benefits of any kind.
In my volunteer role with the Program, I understand my duties are to:
• actively participate in assigned volunteer placements with the City under the oversight of City staff,
• comply with all applicable City policies and procedures, and
• carry out assigned functions as directed by my volunteer coordinator.
In consideration for being permitted to participate as a volunteer in the Program, I hereby:
1. waive any and all rights I may have now or in future to make or in any way advance directly or indirectly as against the City and/or any of its officials, officers, employees, agents, volunteers or boards, including, without limitation, the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation, the Vancouver Police Board and the Vancouver Public Library Board and/ or any of their directors, officials, officers, employees, agents and/or volunteers and/or any societies, associations and/or any other organizations associated or affiliated with the City or any of those Boards in any way in connection with the Program and any of their directors, officers, employees, agents and/or volunteers (all, collectively, the “City Group”), any complaints, claims, actions or suits of any kind arising from or in connection with my participation as a volunteer in the Program;
2. release and forever discharge the City Group from any and all liability for any and all losses, damages, injuries, harm or expenses of any kind I may suffer, incur or experience in any way arising from or in connection with my participation as a volunteer in the Program;
3. will indemnify the City Group for and hold it harmless from any and all losses, injuries, damages or harm that it may suffer, incur or experience and will indemnify the City Group for and hold them harmless from any and all claims against them or any of them for any losses, injuries, damages, harm or expense suffered, incurred or experienced by anyone else arising from or in connection with my participation as a volunteer in the Program.
UPDATED PHOTOGRAPHY POLICY
The Vancouver Emergency Management Agency Volunteer Program (“The Program”) uses photography at training, exercises, special events and appreciation events. If you choose not to consent to use of photography or other types of recording, inform your volunteer coordinator of your decision and ensure that you exclude yourself from situations in which recording may occur.
You can change your photography consent preferences on your volunteer profile in Better Impact under “My Profile -> Additional Info”.
CONSENT FOR COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
I hereby consent to the collection of personal information as requested in this Volunteer Form for the sole purposes of coordinating my volunteer activities in connection with the Program and contacting me for future volunteer opportunities. I understand further that my personal information, once collected by the City, will be handled by the City in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (British Columbia).
The City of Vancouver collects personal information under the authority of s. 26(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have questions about the collection of this personal information, please contact the Director of Access to Information and Privacy at 604-873-7999 or 453 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Y 1V4.
If you would like to print a copy for your records, click here to find the Volunteer Form or navigate to ‘Files’ on the MyVolunteer homepage.