Acknowledgement of Understanding
There are a few things you need to know before deciding to take the next steps in joining one of our volunteer teams.
Our adult volunteer programs focus on improving the guest experience and educating the public about different aspects of wildlife conservation. As a zoo volunteer; you will not directly care for, clean after, work with, or handle any of the exhibit animals. Non-paid positions within the animal department are reserved for college interns with declared majors in an animal science or biology related field.
Please take a minute to review the volunteer position descriptions for Ambassador (event & guest services volunteer) and Docent (volunteer educator).
Requirements for becoming an adult volunteer for Friends of the Zoo:
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- All applicants are required to pass a criminal background check.
- A fee of $35.00 is required for all trainees, which covers a uniform shirt, ID badge, training materials and a criminal background check.
- All applicants must be willing and able to work both indoors and outdoors.
- All applicants must be willing and able to work with children of varying ages, as well as adults.
- Accepted applicants must be available for and attend orientation and training classes specific to the position.
- Accepted applicants must successfully complete the required training course(s) and a written test.
- Upon successful completion of the training course, a minimum commitment of 1 year of service is expected. Required service hours vary and are depicting in the volunteer position descriptions.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. The information you supply on this application will be used to distinguish you from other applicants and assess your qualifications for available volunteer positions. Completing an application does not secure a volunteer position or guarantee an interview.
We review applications once per year. The volunteer application deadline is March 1, 2019.
During the process of submitting your application, DO NOT USE THE BACK BUTTON!