Dear Animal Collections Intern Applicant,
Thank you for your interest in our Internship Program! The Animal Collections Internship Program provides a hands-on educational experience that allows participants to acquire transferable skills in the zoo keeping field. Individuals will be able to work directly with invertebrates, reptiles, birds, and mammals (including primates and carnivores).
We will hold internships throughout the year, every three months: Spring - March 1st to May 31st, Summer - June 1st to August 31st, Fall - September 1st - November 30th, Winter - December 1st to February 28th. All sessions will start and end on or around dates listed. Please apply at least one month prior to internship start date. Individuals interested in applying for the Summer Session are advised to apply several months in advance, due to limited availability. Availability is limited to 3-4 individuals per session. This is a non-paid internship.
Minimum qualifications for potential participants:
- Expected to work a minimum of 27 hours a week and will be allowed to work a maximum of 40 hours per week.
- Must be over 18 years of age and attending or be a recent graduate from an accredited university with a degree or major in a related field.
- Must be able to provide a current, negative, Tuberculosis test and a Tetanus vaccination that has been done within the last five years upon acceptance.
- Completion of the online application form:
- Upload and pass background check
- Upload Cover letter and Resume with references
- Answer specified questions
- Must be reliable, flexible, outgoing, and energetic.
If you have any questions about the internship program, please do not hesitate to email me at email@example.com.
See you soon!
Sarah Harrison, Lead Keeper
Saginaw Children's Zoo
1730 S. Washington Ave.
Saginaw, MI 48601
*Ashley Brooks, a former Intern, and her Enrichment Evaluation Project with our female North American River Otter, Bootie.