Horizon Stagelighters Society Code of Conduct
An organization expects its Board and volunteer members to meet the highest ethical standards in their actions, their use of authority and their dealing with others. By outlining what those standards are in a Code of Conduct document and asking Board members and volunteers to sign that they have read it, the Board is making Board members and volunteers accountable and avoiding potential problems.
The mandate of the Horizon Stagelighters Society is to adhere to the Objects as written in Article 3, of the Society’s Bylaws. They read as follows:
1. To provide volunteer front-of-house support for Horizon Stage.
2. To promote the value and culture of our community’s theatre.
3. To raise funds for Horizon Stage, as outlined in the agreement with the City of Spruce Grove.
4. To provide ongoing recruitment, training, and recognition of our volunteers.
5. To choose and sponsor quality programming.
6. To regularly review our policies, procedures, and training.
7. To provide a meaningful and valuable experience for our volunteers.
The following Code of Conduct is designed to allow the Society to address its mandate and conduct its affairs with integrity and credibility with the public. This Code applies to all volunteers who act on behalf of Horizon Stagelighters Society in dealing with audience members, performers, agents, music promoters, sponsors, members of other performing arts organizations, other volunteers, and paid individuals who work in conjunction with Horizon Stagelighters and Horizon Stage.
- Always act with fairness, honesty, integrity, and openness; respect opinions of others and treat all with equality and dignity.
- Promote the mission and objectives of the Horizon Stagelighters Society in all dealings with the public when acting on behalf of the Society.
- Provide a positive experience for those who attend and participate in Horizon Stagelighters Society and Horizon Stage functions.
- Act with honesty and integrity and in accordance with professional standards as outlined by the Alberta Societies Act.
- Adhere to the bylaws of the Society.
- Take responsibility for personal actions and decisions. Ensure that you do not exceed the authority of your position.
Conflict of Interest
Conflict of interest arises when a person participates in a decision about a matter (including any contract or arrangement of employment, leasing, sale or provision of goods and services) which may benefit that person because of their direct or indirect monetary or financial interests affected by or involved in that matter.
In the event that such a matter arises, the person shall formally disclose the interest, refrain from attempting to persuade or influence other persons participating in the decision, and shall not cast a vote on the matter.
Respect and maintain the confidentiality of information gained as a Board member or volunteer.
Sexual or Personal Harassment
Sexual harassment is any conduct, comment, gesture or contact of a sexual nature that is unwanted or unwelcome by an individual.
Personal harassment means any conduct that is verbal or physical that is discriminatory or offensive in nature. It includes conduct that is unwanted or unwelcome including actions that cause distress and serve no legitimate purpose within the organization.
Horizon Stagelighters Society does not condone sexual or personal harassment.