Penn State Parents Council
Welcoming. Sharing. Connecting.
WE ARE a resource enriching the Penn State experience for all parents and families.
The Penn State Parents Council is comprised of a representative group of University Park parents and family members who:
- Make a commitment to volunteer our time and to share our knowledge and expertise across a range of initiatives and programs that support the mission and the goals of the Penn State Parents Program
- Act as an advisory group working in close collaboration with the Parent’s Program to help undergraduate parents, families and students foster a positive and lasting connection to Penn State
We achieve a sense of balance between interests, knowledge, expertise, experience and tenure through the thoughtful recruitment of new members, and we make Penn State feel like a close-knit, supportive community by:
- Welcoming a diverse group of parents and families into our University Park community
- Learning more about on- and off- campus life at the University, including its administration, academics, career development, student activities, personal enrichment and sports programs in order to become better informed so we, in turn, can serve as a well-informed and knowledgeable resource
- Helping all families and their students feel connected through the development of both on- and off- campus programs, services and outreach that address a wide range of needs
- Listening and extending a helping hand to parents and family members who are seeking information
- Sharing our knowledge and first-hand experiences through frequent communication via our website, newsletter, blogs and social media
- Connecting with University administration to become better informed, share our concerns and support their efforts
To meet our goals, the Parents Council meets two times per year at the University Park campus (lodging and travel at your own expense*).
- Will your schedule allow you to attend a three-day meeting in the fall (held during Parents & Families Weekend) and a two-day meeting in the spring (held during Blue & White Weekend)?
Members serve a two-year renewable term.
- Will your schedule allow you to participate fully for two years?
*Should you be selected to join the Parents Council there is a limited amount of travel funds available to assist families of students who are Pell eligible or low income.
If you are not able to meet the above criteria, please consider applying for our Parent Ambassador program.
Please note: Penn State faculty, staff, and students are not eligible to become members of the Parents Council, however, they may apply to volunteer as Parent Ambassadors.