Steps to Volunteer
The Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo has a standard volunteer application and screening process for all applicants to the volunteer program.
- Fill out online application
- If accepted, will be contacted to attend a group interview**. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
- If accepted, will be asked to attend a group orientation & training session.
- Complete training as required, including a 20 hour probationary period.
- Commit to 50 volunteer hours per year. Volunteer shifts are offered daily during zoo opening hours only. Evening opportunities are limited to special event support (i.e. ZOOLIGHTS).
** WHAT TO EXPECT IN A GROUP INTERVIEW
- The interview will be completed in person at the Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo.
- Participants will be asked to speak in front of a mixed group of other potential volunteers & staff members.
- There will be individual questions and participants should be comfortable speaking in a group setting.
- Participants will be asked to have unique answers to their questions.
- Potential volunteers will be evaluated on skills, such as communication.
- Please note Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo volunteers do not interact with animals.
- Volunteers are a resource to guests and help create meaningful connections and experiences. Therefore, volunteers must be comfortable interacting with zoo guests of all ages. Comfortable talking with strangers, making eye contact, and open body language.
- The Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo is an outdoor facility and all Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo employees and volunteers working at the zoo must be comfortable working in a large variety of outdoor conditions. The Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo follows the advice of Environment Canada when responding to temperature and air quality issues.
Volunteer Code of Conduct
What you Consent and Agree to
By providing us with the information, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for the purposes described above. If we plan to use personal information we have collected for a purpose not previously identified, we will advise you of this purpose before such use.
We are committed to maintaining the accuracy, confidentiality, and security of personal information under our control. In support of this commitment.