Required for participation in Rutgers Master Gardener Program of Ocean County
I wish to become an intern in the Rutgers Cooperative Extension Master Gardener training program and would like to be accepted for the next class. I understand there is a cost to cover the course and administrative expenses.
I understand that to become a certified Rutgers Cooperative Extension Master Gardener, I am required to:
- Be over eighteen years (18) of age.
- Complete the course of study, including specialized training in:
- (1) Phone Helpline
- (2) Tick ID
- (3) Plant Diagnostics
Classes start the third week of January thru and into the third week of April, every Tuesday and Thursday from 9:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. at the RCE of Ocean County, plus educational field trips.
- 85% class attendance is required.
- Pass the final exam with a minimum score of 80%. Exam is take home and open book.
- Volunteer 60 hours to the Rutgers Master Gardener Program of Ocean County.
- 45 hours total in Helpline, Tick ID, and Community and Education Outreach.
- 15 hours in program areas of your choice
- You have until the second week of December to complete and record your volunteer hours.
- Yearly volunteer requirements are needed to maintain your certification. (The annual service hours requirements are 25 volunteer hours and minimum of 10 education hours.)
- Read the Master Gardener Volunteer Agreement and agree to adhere to the stipulations outlined. (To read agreement, click on link below.)
*Be aware, as interns and Certified Master Gardeners, the bulk of opportunities for volunteering are during the business hours of 9:00am to 3:00pm Monday- Friday, except major holidays.