Medical Advocacy Volunteer Requirements
- Complete 60-hour Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention training.
- Complete a federal criminal background check which is done by way of fingerprinting with at an Accurate BioMetrics facility at no cost to the volunteer. Please note that the outcome of this background check may implicate your ability to volunteer with our center. If you have questions about this, please connect with us.
- Complete a background check with IL Department of Children and Family Services. Please note that the outcome of this background check may implicate your ability to volunteer with our center. If you have questions about this, please connect with us.
- Commit to completing 288 hours on-call during a 12-month period or less, with a minimum requirement of completing 24 hours on-call, or two shifts, each month.
- Complete 2 on-call shifts each month. On-call shifts are 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am. You will have the flexibility to choose your own shifts both during the week and on weekends.
- Attend quarterly supervision meetings (approximately 1 hour) with the volunteer coordinator or attend one volunteer support group. Volunteer support groups are offered monthly.
- Complete 6 additional hours of continuing education each year, with 2 hours of child-specific content.
- Access to email, internet and a reliable phone.
- Advocates must demonstrate a nonjudgmental, supportive attitude toward survivors of sexual violence. Strong interpersonal/communication skills and a focus on empathy are essential.
- Advocates must be committed to the philosophy of our organization: anti-violence, anti-oppression, intersectional feminism, and the empowerment of all survivors of sexual violence.
- If you identify as a survivor, it has been at least 1 year since you became personally connected to the issue of sexual violence, and, if applicable, it has been at least 1 year since you have stopped receiving services from Resilience or another rape crisis center. Additionally, if you identify as a survivor, you have processed your experience through counseling or another method and you do not feel a sense of crisis in your daily life.