Canuck Place Children's Hospice Policies and Requirements
Attention applicants: Please note that while we are still accepting applications, due to COVID-19, volunteer recruitment is temporarily on hold.
Application and Selection Policy:
Selected applicants participate in an interview and prior to being accepted as a volunteer must submit references, be willing to provide a criminal record check and sign an Oath of Confidentiality. All Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older. Recruitment and selection of qualified volunteers is based on individual assessment without regard to race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, sex, sexual orientation, age, criminal or summary conviction unrelated to the position applied for, or physical and mental disability, unless such regard is based on a bona fide volunteer requirement.
Training and orientation is performed in accordance with the specific requirement for the placement assignment and may vary from 2 to 25 hours in length depending on the role and level of responsibility.
Please note the following requirements for Canuck Place volunteers:
- Criminal record check
- Volunteers are required to submit a minimum of two written personal and/or professional references prior to acceptance as a Family Volunteer. Other volunteers for Canuck Place are asked to submit reference contacts on the volunteer application form.
- Hospice volunteers need to be in good health mentally and physically. If a volunteer is under the care of a physician, a certificate may be requested attesting to the person’s capability to perform the volunteer assignment.
- Volunteers who have not reached the age of majority (18 years of age) submit written consent from their parent or guardian prior to being accepted as a volunteer.
- Vaccination record
- Ability to make minimum one year commitment on weekly, biweekly or monthly basis
- It is required that all Kitchen Volunteers have, or be willing to complete a Food Safe Level I Certification and a current Hepatitis A Vaccination.
- Driver’s abstract (depending on volunteer role)
- Volunteers may also be required to provide confirmation of other certifications and/or proof of licenses depending on the volunteer role.
In accordance with the Criminal Records Review Act, which protects children from physical and sexual abuse, I agree to complete an online authorization for a vulnerable sector criminal record check related to working with children before my start date and every 5 years following, as a condition of volunteering. If it is determined that I have a relevant record which puts me at risk for working with children, I will not be permitted to volunteer at CPCH. If in the future, I am charged with or convicted of a relevant offence, I must promptly report the charge or conviction to the Director, Volunteer & Support Services and authorize a new criminal record check.