Summer VolunTEEN Requirements
SUMMER VOLUNTEEN REQUIREMENTS
Thank you for your interest in our Summer VolunTEEN Program at Doctors Hospital at Renaissance. The VolunTEEN Program exists to provide excellent service to our patients, their families, and hospital staff. It will also introduce you to many opportunities in a professional work environment. Before submitting your application, please keep in mind that our summer program is a very competitive program and eligible applicants must meet the requirements that are listed below.
- Age: High school students must be at least 15 years of age by June 10, 2019 to volunteer.
- Recommendation: In addition to submitting your VolunTEEN application, a recommendation form will be emailed to the individual of your choice. Recommendations should come from someone who knows you well but is not a family member or relative (ex. teacher, counselor, community member, etc.).
- Essay: A 500-word essay, stating your reason(s) for volunteering, must be submitted along with your online application.
- Interview: Applicants will be contacted via email to schedule an interview. Interviews are conducted in a group setting in the month of April.
- Orientation and Training: All VolunTEENs are required to successfully complete the orientation and training classes as outlined during the interview. If selected to participate in our program, students must attend mandatory orientation on either Saturday, May 11th or Sunday, May 19th from 9am-2pm.
- Commitment: VolunTEENs must be willing to fully commit to our 8 week program and be able to serve at least 8 hours per week. The program will run from June 10th - August 4th. A commitment of at least 60 total hours is required.
- Willingness: VolunTEENs should have a sincere desire to perform a community service and be helpful in any area where assigned.
- Responsibility: VolunTEENs should have a genuine sense of responsibility to the hospital. VolunTEENs will follow the specific guidelines, which will be discussed at orientation.
- Dependability: VolunTEENs are expected to be faithful in attendance, giving notice of planned absences in advance and notifying the Volunteer Office of an emergency absence. Excessive or unexcused absences may result in immediate dismissal from the program. If you plan to be away this summer for more than two weeks, this program is not for you.
- Uniform: VolunTEENs take pride in appearance. All VolunTEENs must wear their hospital issued I.D. badge and uniform at all times. Required uniform polos are available to purchase for $20. The polo is to be worn with khaki bottoms and closed-toe shoes. Jeans, shorts, and sandals are NOT permitted.
- Transportation: VolunTEENs must arrange and provide their own transportation during service.
- Background Check: Both a photo ID and social security number are required.
- Health Requirements: Students will need to upload a scan of their immunization record on the online application. Records may be obtained through a family physician or school health department. Upon clearance, a TB skin test & drug screen will be administered. These tests are available at DHR without cost.
This application system does NOT have an option to save and continue later. Please make sure you have your essay, immunization record, and ID ready to upload before starting the application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.