Volunteer Requirements & Essential Capabilities
Thank you for your interest in becoming a HSFN volunteer! We appreciate anyone who is willing to give the shelter pets the gift of their time. Below are the basic requirements for individuals interested in becoming part of the Volunteer Program.
- Age 16 or older
- Available to volunteer for a regularly scheduled 2-3 hour shift (same day and time each week)
- Can commit to 6 months or more of service
- Ability to cope with a highly emotionally charged environment with some animals that are homeless, abandoned and/or abused, as well as the reality that some of the animals in our care may be euthanized
- Ability to understand HSFN’s policies and positions regarding companion animals, and other key animal welfare issues and an ability and willingness to appropriately and accurately represent those policies when interacting with the public or otherwise representing HSFN
- Ability to read and understand animal body language
- Ability to read and understand shelter signage
- Ability to cope with loud noises and unpleasant/strong odors
- Ability to understand, remember, and follow written and verbal instructions and procedures
- Once trained, must be able to work with minimal supervision, yet must recognize limitations in knowledge and abilities and ask for help when needed
- Comfortable cleaning and using hazardous or toxic chemicals
- Comfortable working independently and with others
- Able to effectively communicate through written and verbal means
Please review the essential capabilities document for additional requirements. Once you have reviewed this information, please create an account below to fill out our Volunteer Application.